We are excited to return the beautiful Cutlers Hall. Cutlers Hall is a Grade 2 listed building and is located on Church Street opposite Sheffield Cathedral. The venue is very rarely open to the public so come along and take in some of the amazing architecture and art. The Cutlers’ Hall was built in 1832 by Samuel Worth and Benjamin Broomhead Taylor at a cost of £6,500. It was extended in 1865–7 by Flockton & Abbott, and again in 1888 by J. B. Mitchel-Withers. It is Sheffield’s third Cutlers’ Hall, the previous buildings, which were built in the same location, were constructed in 1638 and 1725.
Prior to 1638 the cutlers met in rented accommodation with tradition saying that this was a public house on Fargate, although there is no documentary evidence to back this up. The first Cutlers’ Hall, a stone building with a slated roof, was built in 1638 at a cost of £155 15s 10d, of which £57 18s 4d was raised by subscription. The building was quickly found to be inadequate, having to be repaired on many occasions and in 1725, a new Cutlers’ Hall was erected on the same site at a cost of £442. It was an attractive, narrow Georgian three storeyed building with a string course cornice. Towards the end of the 18th century the Cutlers’ Hall was used as an overspill court room as the Town Hall across Church Street could not cope with the increasing number of crimes.
The Cutlers’ Hall is maintained by the Cutlers’ Hall Preservation Trust, a registered charity.